Clicking pictures is a great way to freeze your memorable moments so that you can re-visit and cherish the good times later. Thanks to the advancement in technology, the camera’s today can produce stunning, real-life pictures that capture the tiniest of details with perfection.
While the camera is doing its job well, the creativity part has to be taken care of by the photographer. Clicking theme bases pictures that give a message, exploring new angles, understanding how light works are some of the nuances that every photographer must understand especially while doing travel photography.
Here are tips and tricks that will help you click perfect travel photographs:
- Knowing what you want to show: When you are travelling, you will come across many landscapes, sceneries and people that can be clicked. However, in order to make your picture speak, you need to be clear about what you want to convey through your photo. Understand what will be the central theme of your picture and focus your camera to bring that object/person to prominence. Use the depth of field concept to focus on the key elements of the picture.
- Playing with angles: The key to clicking perfect photos is by exploring new angles with your camera. Giving the viewer a new perspective of the same old thing will attract appreciation from the audience. Don’t be afraid to explore and click the same object from different angles. Most monuments or popular places are clicked numerous times by travellers in the same way. In order to stand out and click a creative travel photo, angles are going to be your best companions.
- At the right place, at the right time: Natural light plays a very important role in photography and it becomes even more critical when you are a travel photographer as the scope for artificial lighting is limited. Knowing the weather forecast in advance will be of help. Also, you can use the weather in your stride. For example, when capturing a barren landscape, patchy sky with intermittent cloud cover will add gradient to the whole set-up and make the picture look livelier. When your photo includes people, it is best to find a shaded place from where the picture can be taken. The ideal position to click a picture is to have the sun behind you unless you are capturing a sunrise or sunset shot of-course.
- Go to a scenic location: Well, a scenic location is the easiest way to capture stunning photos without much effort. Snow-capped mountains, dense jungles, lush green fields and unique urban landscapes are some of the places that will offer great photo opportunities.
- Break the monotony: Do not restrict yourself to one category of pictures. While travelling, you come across contrasting geographies, diverse cultures and vibrant landscapes where you can find serenity, action, calm chaos and other such situations alike. Let your camera click all the unique experiences that come your way. South India offers some great photography opportunities. You can stay in one of the jungle resorts in Kabini, or find a hotel on the east coast beaches that offer amazing sceneries and scenarios and let the shutterbug in you take over.