Choosing where to stay when you are travelling the next time can seem like a Herculean Task. However, it does not have to be if you have some basics at place. First, understand the place where you are travelling and the different kinds of accommodation options that it has to offer. Like for example if you are travelling to Bangalore then understand which are the best Bangalore resorts, hotels or Airbnb’s that are there. Once you have a fair idea of that then further narrow your search to the best options that are available to you. Like if you plan to stay at a resort then looks up the different resorts in Bangalore and see what they have to offer and then make a decision. There will be a number of options that will come up but ensure that you choose one that is best suited for the needs of the group that you are travelling with.
In case you are doing all of this for the first time and are confused between a hotel and a resort and what exactly are the differences between the two, then continue reading and educate yourself.
- A hotel is usually a matchbox structure that has limited facilities like a gymnasium, swimming pool, a business centre and a bar. It is suited for travellers who have come for business purposes and will not be spending too much time in the room or at the hotel. A resort on the other hand is a destination in itself which is spread out over a large area and has rooms in the style of tents, cottages or something fancy. They contain a number of activities that can be done within its premises itself and does not require you to really step out at all. It also has facilities for shopping, entertainment, food and everything else all at one place.
- A hotel is usually a place just to satisfy the basic need of travelling that is a room to stay at, whereas a resort offers a complete experience in itself right from privacy, entertainment, sports to even theatre. One such great resort that offers all of this and more is the Discovery Village which is located in places like Kabini, Nandi Hills and Kanakpura. They offer various activities like cycling, trekking, nature trail, birdwatching, barbeque and bonfire, karaoke night, rappelling, overnight camping and even wildlife safaris! No hotel will offer any of these facilities. But if you choose to stay in a resort, like this one, then you can be assured that there will never be a dull moment around!
- Hotels are usually found in the middle of the city, on highways or even near the airports, whereas a resort will be found more near the outskirts or the open spaces as they cover a larger area and hence need more space for all their rooms and facilities.
- The room size in hotels are generally smaller as compared to the ones in resorts. The rooms in resorts are made keeping a family in mind whereas hotel rooms are more for the solo travellers who require just the bare minimum.
- Resorts often have golf carts to move from one place to another because the area is so big. Whether you want to move from your room to the swimming pool or go to the breakfast area, the reception will usually send a golf cart to pick you up. In a hotel the most that you need to do to get from one place to another is to get into a lift and walk a few steps. Hotels are very fuss free like that.
- Most of the resorts offer some freebies along at the time of check in like to water park nearby or to a theatre show. All of this is not available when one is staying at a hotel.
- Resorts are located in offbeat tourist destinations where it is will be difficult to find a decent hotel because people travel to these places only for the purpose of holidays and hence prefer staying in a resort as compared to a hotel.
Now that you have a basic understanding of what is the difference between a hotel and a resort, make sure to choose one that is best suited for your needs the next time you are travelling. If you are travelling for a short duration and just for work purpose or something along those lines then choose a hotel to stay at. However, if you are looking for a vacation with friends or family where you want to take a break from life and just sit back and relax while also having a lot of fun at the same time then definitely book a resort!